Probate Advice Line
DIY with a difference
With the UK economy still in trouble, virtually everyone is looking to save money, and legal services is one such area identified by many. When a relative dies, the Executors or Administrators of the deceased's estate may consider doing the probate and estate administration themselves.
It is entirely possible to obtain probate and deal with the estate without speaking to or seeing a solicitor or other professional advisor; this is done by making a personal application to the Probate Registry. This option also offers families the opportunity to deal with things between themselves, without the associated formality of talking to an independent third party to discuss personal matters.
However this route is not for the faint-hearted and does carry risks. It’s certainly true that some estates are more straightforward than others and a decision on what “straightforward” means will typically depend on what is set out in the Will – assuming there is one of course – together with a look at the number and complexity of assets of the deceased (property bank accounts, house or bank accounts).
DIY - with a difference
It is with this in mind that Kings Court Trust have created the Probate Assist range of services, offering you the best of both worlds.
Our Probate Assist services allow you to stay in full control of the estate whilst at the same time you gain the comfort and security of knowing that professional help is at hand if you need it. We offer two different packages, providing the degree of support to deal with the most common situations that we see families face.
Our standard Probate Assist service is ideal for those Executors who have an elementary understanding of the estate administration process.
For a total fixed cost of £195 inclusive of VAT, Probate Assist includes:
- Answering your estate administration and probate application questions
- Providing assistance with completing the PA1 form as you apply for the Grant of Probate
- Providing telephone advice and guidance to help you check that the Will is valid
- Providing telephone support as you complete the IHT 205 form for HMRC
- Sending you our "Probate Assist Guide" on the key stages of estate administration containing "what happens next" information for each stage of the process
Where more support is envisaged and where the estate is a little more complex, we offer Probate Assist Plus.
For a fixed price of £795 inclusive of VAT this offers the same support as our Probate Assist service, but adds several extra benefits:
- We will check the validity of the Will for you or,
- If there is no valid Will, we will support you as you create a family tree to identify the entitled next of kin,
- Provide telephone explanation of the Will provisions and advise on any trusts contained in the Will
- Provide assistance with creating a family tree to prove entitlement where there is no Will
- Provide telephone support as you complete the IHT 205 or Nil IHT 400 form
- Review your completed IHT form against supporting documentation to ensure you have completed it correctly before submission to HMRC
- Provide advice on what to do after you receive the Grant of Probate
- Provide templates for documents such as estate accounts and assets & liabilities
Speak with an expert
If you are thinking of doing the probate yourself, do research fully what’s involved from start to finish. Probate can be a complex and onerous process, requiring a great deal of time and responsibility by Executors. Before you decide, why not talk to Kings Court first using our free Probate Advice Line on 0300 303 9000? We can talk you through the steps and explain the jargon to bring you peace of mind that you are making the right decision for you and your family. We can help you choose the right service whatever your circumstances.
Christine Houghton is Sales & Marketing Director, at Kings Court Trust. You can reach her at email@example.com or on 01225 759 274.